Sunday, April 6, 2008

Not liking Vancouver Coastal Health much...

Health Authority: Vancouver Coastal Health

Areas Covered by Health Authority: http://www.vch.ca/about/regions.htm

Website: www.vch.ca

Response: Negative

Desired requirements: 2+ years work experience in nursing


This was the first health authority I attempted to contact. I had a lot of friends who had some experience working within their system, and had heard that I would learn a lot from being in one of these hospitals.


Based on VCH's website, I had expected them to be fairly open – after all, their website actively advertises for international applicants [see here]. Nothing prepared me for the response I got.


The initial response went well – I inquired about the possibility of applying for either the new grad program or the IEN program. I felt that I was qualified for either. I spoke to an assistant in human resources and they initially were positive. So I waited for a follow-up call.


I wasn't happy at all with the follow-up call. Essentially I was told that I wasn't qualified. That part didn't really bother or surprise me, although I honestly found that a little disappointing. What surprised me was the next statement. She said, “You should go back to the Philippines, work there for two years and then come back.”


Does anyone else find this insulting?


I guess I was expecting some kind of help, like “you can take this program in order to upgrade your skills,” or “you can try being a care aide / licensed practical nurse first in order to gain exposure,” or even “try volunteering first so that you can experience the Canadian health system”.


Nope. Just flat out dismissal, without even asking about my situation, assuming that I wasn't even from Canada or something. When the suggestion is to spend money for another flight, work in a country where call center agents are paid more than nurses, and then return to Canada and work hard to integrate, there seems to be a bit of a problem somewhere.


Admittedly, they called one more time. After finding out that I was actually Canadian, they suggested going to Kwantlen to take a Canadian RN refresher course. Helpful advice, but they didn't have to be condescending on the previous call.


Based on this experience, I wouldn't recommend dealing with VCH right now.



Comments welcome.

1 comment:

clarklopez23 said...

Try Room to Grow. They might have some place for you. (-: